My photo
ALBERT B. CASUGA, a Philippine-born writer, lives in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, where he continues to write poetry, fiction, and criticism after his retirement from teaching and serving as an elected member of his region's school board. He was nominated to the Mississauga Arts Council Literary Awards in 2007. A graduate of the Royal and Pontifical University of St. Thomas (now University of Santo Tomas, Manila. Literature and English, magna cum laude), he taught English and Literature (Criticism, Theory, and Creative Writing) at the Philippines' De La Salle University and San Beda College. He has authored books of poetry, short stories, literary theory and criticism. He has won awards for his works in Canada, the U.S.A., and the Philippines. His latest work, A Theory of Echoes and Other Poems was published February 2009 by the University of Santo Tomas Publishing House. His fiction and poetry were published by online literary journals Asia Writes and Coastal Poems recently. He was a Fellow at the 1972 Silliman University Writers Workshop, Philippines. As a journalist, he worked with the United Press International and wrote an art column for the defunct Philippines Herald.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

TAKING STOCK


I am mining the blog for possible book materials, upon suggestion of a quondam confrere at the old university.

The University of Santo Tomas Publishing House is inviting writer-alumni to contribute to the publication of 400 books to complete the project in commemoration of the university's 400th anniversary in the Philippines.   The Dominican-run univerity is one of the oldest universities in the world.

Dr. Cristina Pantoja-Hidalgo, herself an alumna and a notable Philippine writer, has taken over the project as the present Director of the UST Publishing House. Dr. Hidalgo, a retired professor emeritus of the University of the Philippines, returns to her Alma Mater to complete the 400 Books for 400 Years Project.

This author's A Theory of Echoes (A Selection of Poems) was published in Febrary 2009 as part of the project started by then Publishing House Director Jack Wigley.

Taking stock, I will be back before long. I think.

1 comment:

features/rosie said...

Dear Sir Albert

The pix on your blog now (tree and falls)is stunning

I understand, you would be busy, Sir

I would wait gazing at that picture while you are away

I know you will come back

Good luck to your work (with Ma'am Hidalgo)

I will miss you so much

Maybe I would play on the pieces you left me, for ???

Till you're back

I will read the older posts of your blogs and learn more ???

I will try to write some fiction???

And more poems???

Then a poem for you --

And the inspiration you always give me

Have fun in your new endeavors

My prayers,
Rose